At a time when deleted emails, audio recordings and ruthless tactics come to light in the media on a fairly regular basis, it’s no surprise that the young leaders of today have spotted the need for leaders to demonstrate integrity and ethical behavior. As a matter of fact, young leaders of today believe that demonstrating integrity will become the most important characteristic of future leaders.
What Is Integrity?
“Integrity is the quality of possessing and adhering to high moral principles or professional standards.” In other words, it’s not enough to simply espouse values; global leaders have the added responsibility of influencing through example.
Indeed, events in the business arena involving companies have illustrated how integrity lapses can lead even “benchmark companies” into bankruptcy. These unfortunate negative public examples of integrity violations have clearly made the business case for including integrity as a key quality of the leader of the future.
The next question you will probably have is: How do I (or do I already) demonstrate this behavior? Following are five significant characteristics of demonstrating integrity as well as some (but not all!) actions you can take to demonstrate integrity.
One characteristic that demonstrates integrity is to behave honestly and practice ethical behavior in your interactions. You can accomplish this by:
- Recognizing that you are a model for those whom you lead
- Being consistent and clear about your ethical standards
- Providing facts, not smokescreens
- Speaking up even when it may be risky to do so
- Challenging any system that encourages dishonesty or rewards unethical behavior
A second characteristic that demonstrates this behavior to ensure that the highest standards for ethical behavior are practiced throughout the organization. You can do this by:
- Being consistent and clear about ethical standards and expectations
- Encouraging people to express concerns about questionable practices
- Reviewing ethical concerns with your staff or management
- Offering open, candid feedback to management and coworkers
- Recognizing that honesty and fairness in all relations with others is important
A third characteristic that demonstrates integrity is to avoid political and self-serving behavior. You can demonstrate this by:
- Understanding that being competent in your job is the most effective method of achieving success
- Realizing that organizational politics take many forms; list the tactics you are aware of
- Sharing recognition; not accepting undue credit
- Being a team player
- Combating job politics through objective measurements of performance
A fourth characteristic that demonstrates this behavior is to courageously stand up for what you believe in. You can do this by:
- Understanding that risk taking plays a part in nearly every decision made
- Being willing to take risks to achieve excellence and stay competitive
- Developing a positive attitude when facing objections
- Working to gain support and cooperation from key individuals in your organization
- Encouraging and supporting others to speak up and voice their viewpoints
The fifth characteristic that demonstrates integrity is to be a role model for living the organization’s values. You can accomplish this by:
- Walking the talk: be an example of what you want your employees to be
- Being sure your performance reflects the best standards
- Acknowledging the unique knowledge and talents of others
- Demonstrating pride in your company
- Coaching employees to follow your example of performing to high standards
People will not follow leaders whom they do not trust. Great leaders, trusted leaders demonstrate integrity and in doing so, achieve the faith and confidence of their workers, colleagues and peers, who then become willing followers, loyal employees and trusted coworkers. This important characteristic is an integral step on the road to success for the great leaders of the future.
At Goldwiser, we are the leader in the state of Texas for buying and selling gold, silver, platinum and gift cards! We are the leader due to our integrity and quality of service! We are located at 24910 Kuykendahl Rd., Tomball, TX 77375 and open Monday through Saturday 10 am to 7 pm.